Last night Finn and I took another trip to L&D. Ugh.
Contractions started around 2pm and were coming 3-6 minutes apart lasting for about a minute each. As if that weren't enough to catch some attention, they really started to hurt. That whole, fuck-i-know-i-should-be-breathing-but-i'm-not-sure-there-is-room-for-my-lungs-to-expand-fuck-this-hurts, kind. Mommas, you know what I'm talking about. So I called. And I was totally expecting an order to take another Procardia and come in if they don't stop then. Instead I got a 'come into L&D, Dr. D will meet you there'. And oh, over protective Dr. D, I love you, but COME ON. Dr.K promised me that if I ever called with this situation that we would play with my Procardia first. But then as I thought about it, I figured out what he was thinking....it had been 2 weeks and a couple days since my last trip, and one of the tests they do measures out 2 weeks. So we needed a new one.
(For the record, the test I'm talking about is a Fetal Fibernectin Test. FFN is what the cool kids call it. And it basically tests for a hormone that you produce during labor. If it comes back positive, it means you can deliver within the next 2 weeks. If it is negative, you're pretty much in the clear). It's an important test that we have learned doctors put a lot of trust in. So we trust it too. Along with an FFN, I got an ultrasound to check my cervical length. My FFN was negative, my cervix is still nice and long. (TMI, I know). After around 3 hours, some tests and half a bag of fluids, I was on my merry way home with the same ol' "we don't know why you do this, but we just have to wait it out". And we don't have that much longer to wait....in 2.5 weeks, if my body does this again, we're going to let it ride and see where we go. At that point, the steps that we take to stop contractions can do more harm to Finn than good. So in 2.5 weeks, Finn can come!
Unfortunatley, this trip to L&D had me pretty down. Last time, I loved my nurses. Fantastic nurses make a HUGE difference. These nurses seemed to have me written off the second I came in. Which was a weird second at that. The nurse that was checking me in looked at my mom and asked her first name. "You're Bonnie R___, and I went to high school with you" she said in a tone that had me...curious. When she walked out my mom said that my nurse hated her in high school. While my mom was there waiting for Frank to arrive, the high school reunion nurse and the other nurse continued with these oddly snotty comments. So when it came time for the good ol' duck bill and my internal swab for the FFN, I sent Momma packin. Because a) she doesn't need to see that awesomeness and b) i wanted to see what would happen when she left. And it was weird after she left....the nurses didn't quite interact with me in a friendly or caregiving manner, I was poked and prodded so quickly without any care for comfort, I was in tears and one point.
I'm sorry, but COME ON. I've been through this before. I can show you the best place to put the monitor to catch Finn's heartbeat and the best place to measure for contractions. If you put them in places that aren't picking up the contractions all the way, I'm going to move it. I can tell you that yes, my left arm has veins that look awesome, but that they are also tricky as hell and don't like to be poked. So when I tell you that the nurse that tried that exact vein blew it, and see that bruise, it's from her, and you don't believe me and continue to stab me with a fucking knitting needle while I contract, I'm going to start to say ow. And when another nurse has to tell you to stop trying to force it in and literally TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU, it's time to stop. Please. Just use my right arm like I asked you to in the first place. I know the ultrasound techs by name and can show you the back way there. Need a clean catch urine sample? I'll show you the closet they're stored in, I don't need instructions on how to do so. Nurses that treat me like a child get put on the bitch list. Nurses that treat me like a human being who maybe has some experience in this and don't suck get massive points.
Phew. Holy rant. But good nurses, I love you. Bad nurses, learn compassion and care. Women in L&D are there to have babies, not be treated like them. Whether you liked their Mom in high school or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment