Monday, August 15, 2011

For the love of Facebook

It is no secret that I love not only to blog, but I love to read and follow tons (seriously, I read way too many) blogs of other families and parents. Some I know, some I've grown to know through comments and message boards and some I have found on luck and continued to read. Along the way, there have been babies born, some premature, and some enough so to have NICU stays. I know that so many of the bigger bloggers get crap for blogging/tweeting/facebooking while their children are in the hospital, and I was always on the side of the critics....how could these parents waste time with that crap when their babies were in the hospital? And then I went through it.

We all know that I put up a facebook status right before I was transferred via helicopter during my preterm labor with Finn. I had stayed quite about my time in the hospital before that moment...I didn't want the attention and worry of my little facebook world. But then something clicked. I wanted the thoughts, prayers and good wishes. I was basically told that I was delivering at 29 week old baby and I figured we needed all the help we could get. And the outpour of love from my facebook friends was extrodinary and comforting in a way that I can't quite explain.

When Finn was born and brought to Rockford, my phone was with me all the time. Taking pictures, updating friends and family with texts and facebooking. That's right - I was on facebook sitting next to Finn's isolette, doing exactly what I had judged a million other bloggers for. But facebook is awesome for the simple fact that it is complete mindless entertainment. Not only did I spend time laughing at status updates and pictures of my friends, I posted updates on Finnegan too. And again, the outpour of love and support was extrodinary. Well wishes from Wisconsin, Arizona, Utah, Florida, Texas and even Germany came pouring in. Finn suddenly had this support system, this web of people cheering him on every step of the way from not only all over our country, but from others as well. My smiles grew with every comment and like, and I'm not sure I will ever be able to thank people enough for those simple gestures. 

But Facebook is good for something else.....making connections when you least expect them. When I was first transfered to Rockford, my mom also posted a good thought request. And in addition to more love for me and Finn, she also got an interesting response - her friend's sister in law was the Director of the Women and Children's Unit there. My mom's friend said that she passed along my info and the next morning, we were visited in the OB unit by K. Frank and I laughed that afternoon that we had just freaked out all of the nurses in OB. When Finn was transferred over there, Frank and I talked a bit about trying to stop and say hello to her, but we never made the time. So when we saw K walking around the NICU on the morning that we were being transferred, we took the time to stop her and say hello. One of our nurses saw us joking with her and mentioned that she was "the big boss" after the conversation ended.  I went on to explain how the funny little world of facebook played into "knowing" her and let it go...after all, we were being transferred out and I was just happy that I was able to say hello to K because she was so nice the first time we met.

And now? The funny little world of facebook is coming full circle. I noticed a new follower the other day, and while I don't normally shout out new followers, I'm totally calling this one out. The favorite nurse that I've mentioned a couple times? My nurse BFF? The wonderful and amazing Elise? She reads the blog!!!! I was so excited!! And I may or may not have searched her full name on Facebook to confirm it was her (I suppose we can call this mild stalking, but whatever). And armed with her full name, I just sent off an email singing her praises to the big boss. Fingers crossed that she gets some love from RMH, because giving her some K-Cups and a coffee mug just isn't enough for my favorite NICU nurse.

So thank you, Facebook, for entertaining me while I sat in my big blue chair at the NICU, for allowing my team of Finn supporters to grow bigger than I ever expected, and for allowing me to find my favorite. I'm forever grateful for your ability to let the world stalk each other.

2 comments:

  1. Mags, I love you and am so proud of you. It's difficult to not only admit when we are "wrong", maybe "judgmental" is a better word, but you just did it in public. And woo-hoo nurse Elise!!!! I figured she would have been happy to get rid of you, but here she is stalking you. You are an amazing woman Mags and I will stalk you, read your fb updates & blogs, see you as much as you will let me. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello there! Yes I was totally "creeping" on your blogspot!!! I really wanted to hear how Finn was doing and when he was going to be able to go home. For a couple days after you guys left me, I would hop on my phone and creep on your page and still nothing was posted so I was getting nervous. But then you posted that you were home!!! WOOHOO!! I was so excited! I wasn't sure how to go about getting in contact with you guys there was so much I wanted to tell you and I didn't know if a comment on your blog was the appropriate place for it but then you totally called me out so........here I am! I wanted to tell you that your card and thoughtful words brought me and my family to tears! But then reading the WONDERFUL letter you wrote to my "big boss" well I don't have the words...........THANK YOU!!!!!!! (Even though thank you doesn't seem big enough for the amazing praise you gave to me!) You and your family are wonderful and I am so lucky to have gotten the chance to meet you and get to know you guys over those few days! If you don't mind I will continue to creep on your blog and leave you random comments! Oh speaking of random, the day you guys left Rockford I got an email on my phone introducing the newest K-cups to the K-cup family........guess what kind??? Dunkin Doughnuts!!!!!! I laughed out loud when I got that and thought of you guys! Always keep me posted and I would like your address so here is my email if you would send it to me! elisern@gmail.com Sending all my love, Elise

    ReplyDelete