Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

or as Eddie says 'Happy Fadur's Day!'

and oh, how many times Frank has been told that today. Eddie and his Daddy are two peas in a pod, best friends to the core. They have grown so close in the last few weeks....they wrestle, play hockey and basketball and golf and tennis and baseball and just about any other sport under the sun. When they play, they play hard and rough with tackles and laughter that radiates throughout our house. The smiles are bigger, the giggles get louder, and sometimes, the cries for Momma when Eddie gets a boo-boo is the only thing that breaks up the rucus.

These days, as I'm getting bigger and more uncomfortable, as I'm hot and tired and want nothing to do with sitting on the floor playing trains or legos or cars or whatever our love of the day is, these are the days that Frankie really shines. Most days he comes home after a long day of work and plays until he and Eddie pass out together in Eddie's new big boy bed. Some days he starts playing before he even changes, happily grabbing a hockey stick in a suit and tie. On special days we have lunch with Daddy and on even better ones he comes home for lunch and kisses. On even more special days, candles are lit and I get a foot rub for my ache and swollen toes. Every day I am awed by this man, his love for his son and his ability to just jump up when Eddie's ready to play. And while I simply cannot wait to have that energy back, I also can't wait to see what comes with my change of energy.....the inevitable slow down that will come to Frank, this transition that we're going to go through soon, one that will have him grabbing a baby in his suit and tie instead of a hockey stick, one that will add newborn kisses to our lunchtime breaks, one that will mean passing out in Eddie's big boy bed not just to cuddle, but to get a little extra rest.

Because I know, above all, that Frank is my rock. He is Eddie's rock, and while our world will soon be turned upside down, we can still count on him no matter what to wrestle, be whatever sports hero we're in love with that day, and maybe, on super special days, sneak in a foot rub.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And, of course, a super huge Happy Father's Day to my dad, too! Every day I see things in Frank and know that I married a man just like my Dad. Sometimes it shouts at me in funny times, times that Frank makes a joke that only my dad would make. And sometimes its small whispers in the way he is with Eddie. Sometimes it is just a feeling that I know that I've got a good one, just like the guy I came from.

Other days, I see my dad in myself than I do in the man I married. The small jokes that would only make me or him laugh, the things I say to Eddie or my Mom or to Frank. The fact that I am constantly wanting to pick on Eddie just that extra little bit.....the same way that my dad will - literally - poke me with a stick one to many times just to piss me off. Because ya know what? It's funny. And I only get that now that I do it to Eddie too. Heh. Does that make us horrible people? I swear we're not! We just have an odd sense of humor. And big, huge laughs. I have his nose, his teeth, his toes that can pick up stuff and his love of chatting. He has my love. I hope it's enough to show him just how much he means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment