Friday, June 12, 2009

One little tooth - one little breakdown

For months I have had to answer the inevitable question once someone sees my child smile his huge, gummy smile. First, everyone says "look at those dimples!!" and then they say "what...no teeth yet?". And then, every once and a while, I'll run into someone (like the woman at the children's museum) who makes it seem like a developmental issue that my son doesn't have teeth yet. Excuse me, but he is crawling early, pulling up to stand, uses baby sign language...etc, etc. I will never forget the woman sitting there and saying "well, he isn't crawling but he does have 4 teeth..." like Eddie being a late teether made him slow to develop or something. Anyway.....
We have turned it into a joke that Eddie will be one before he gets a tooth. After months of stressing, my doctor assured me that Eddie was just fine being a late teether. So, I went with it. I cracked jokes, I enjoyed his gummy little smile. I actually started to resent the idea of him getting teeth - I loved his smile the way it was!
And then, yesterday, it happened. A little tooth popped out of his bottom gums. At first, I was ecstatic. I was practically bursting with pride. We made the phone calls and I announced it to the world on my facebook page. And then, after Eddie was in bed, I had myself a little breakdown. My baby isn't such a baby anymore. He has teeth (well, a tooth). He is growing up. And it only took me 9 months to notice it.

-maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment