Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Red Light

(i have the eddie-ism post half done. its just so gosh darn wordy that its hard to get to! onto a simple picture post...)

Back in June I got the hubs a Groupon for the Mario Andretti Experience - he'd get to drive an open air Indy car! I was so excited for it to finally be the big day....and hoping that the forcasted rain would magically disappear :)



{cell phone picture....we drove right into the pit area. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!}

{chicagoland speedway, joliet}

{when we got there they were running the NASCAR driving school too. It was (surprisingly) really fun to watch them do their runs. We were an hour early for our check in time and were happy to be entertained while we waited!}

{These are the ride along Indy cars, which I now want to do! How fun would that be?!}

{Frankie checking out the Indy car}


{my lovely impression of a car model}

So we're hanging out, totally sad that we didn't bring Eddie. I wasn't sure what the area was going to be like, so we decided to be cautious and not bring him. Low and behold, it would have been perfect. You literally just hang out in the pit and can run around the open areas, watch the people drive, etc. Eddie would have had a blast. And while we're waiting, the skies get darker and darker, the temperature drops and there is a lovely little blip right above us on the radar. And as Frank is (finally) getting checked in, I feel a raindrop on my foot. (HEY! funny thing. I though it was my breast leaking onto my foot. Ha! Then I realized I had clothes on. I'm so smart). In the next minute, the downpour started, so we hung out under the tent in the pit. The rain just kept coming harder and harder, until all the crew people started screaming for everyone to run to the garage. Fun times! So we ran, through the insane downpour, to the garages where they were starting to pull in the cars. We walked into this....

{wet Indy car tires + smooth floor = bye bye garage door}
{and then you're still supposed to be like 'HELL YEAH I WANNA DRIVE THAT!' I was a little more scared at this point}

{I asked one of the crew guys who pays for that....the guy who crashed it does! and he also gets fired. damn, that sucks.}

So we're hanging out with the Indy cars and NASCARs all packed into the garage, figuring that they're going to cancel. They cancelled the NASCAR people right away, but let the Indy people hang out. Finally, they told us that we would be issued gift cards to come back NEXT YEAR. Mother effer.

{poor Frankie had to turn in his fire suit and head home only having driven our Vue. Which, if you know the Vue, is like kickin' ya while you're down. Ha!}

So, next year we'll bring the boys and a cooler of snacks. We'll also bring the flip camera to video Frankie's driving skills. I only hope I can get the sound to work....him screaming like a girl going 150mph would be pretty fantastic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment