Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thoughts on a Thursday

(Mommy Addition)


Today, we bought Eddie a toddler bed. With the new drop side crib ban, we figured it was a good time to move on over to the toddler bed. The thing is, I have no idea how to a) change over or b) saftey proof his room for the change. Part of me just says that we have to put the bed in his room, play it up as the greatest thing since pacis and let him tell us that he is ready. But once we do that, what happens to his room? I'm thinking I am going to move his dresser into his closet and lock the closet. Why? My kid is a climber, people. He can make anything into a jungle gym and the thought of him hoping up to the changing table to yell out the window like he loves doing makes me want to keep him in a crib forever. The only other furniture in his room is a bookshelf, one that holds some various stuffed animals, pictures and books. Hubby and I made a deal early on that a bedroom is for sleeping only, not play time, so we don't have to worry about him falling asleep on top of a train table or anything. But is the bookshelf safe? I mean, he can climb it...and now that I'm thinking about it, his beloved fish is going to have to move, because I don't even want to begin to think about what a toddler would do if he had full access to his fishy (not to mention water, glass, tiny rocks and other dangerous materials a fish bowl brings). I'm thinking we're going to leave the bookshelf...if he wants to read books that is fine with us. And finally, what about the door? Do we buy another gate and throw it up there to keep him in? Switch the door handle so we can lock him in from the inside? Is that even humane? Moral? Does it matter? Heh.....



On a totally different note (which is the point of ToaT)....Eddie calls me Maggie. Like....90% of the time. I can say "that's not what we call me"....."no, what do you call me" or even "you're not allowed to call me that" and he'll switch right to Mom or Momma, it just seems like the prefers to call me Maggie. It is easily the most frustrating thing that he does (besides saying 'no' every .2 seconds) and I have no idea how to change it. Is this one of those things that I am just going to have to put up with?


Advise me, blog world. I need your help!

2 comments: