Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mother of the Year!

Right here, ya'll. That's me!! Who nominated me, you ask? Well, the guy that I screamed at in the Babies R Us parking lot, of course! Heh...interested in the rest of the story?


Eddie and I ran to BRU to get some new baby proofing items (mainly door handle cover things, since someone has been trying to go in the basement and garage)...harmless, right? As I was putting Eddie into the car, I threw the car keys onto the front seat - something I do all.the.time. When I closed the door, I heard the click of the doors lock. Eddie was inside, I was outside and the keys were on the front seat. HOLY SHIT. Lots of swearing insued.

As I tried not to panic, I stopped a woman who was just getting out of her car and asked to use her phone. After thanking her profusely, I called 911, since we didn't know the non-emergency number. Right away, the rude man on the phone cut me off to say that Algonquin police don't open locked cars, unless there is a small child inside. And that's when the crazy started. 'THERE IS A SMALL CHILD INSIDE!!'. He responded with a small 'oh' and took the info. The lady that let me use her phone went inside, the other woman who stopped when this whole thing began offered me her coat, and when I declined, she went on her way as well. I tried desperately to keep Eddie laughing and not to panic in front of him. And then the minutes went by like hours and I started to panic. How much longer was it going to take? Where were they? I'm the worst mother in the world. How did this happen? I am the worst mother. Then the tears started. You know how when you're trying so hard not to cry and it just makes it worse? Yeah...that started.

And then some jackass decided he wanted the spot next to me, even though the expansive parking lot was fairly empty. And he startes giving me the 'WTF??' hand....that thing that you will throw out when you think someone is doing something absolutely idiotic and you're obviously smarter and better then them and all you can come up with is 'WTF?' along with the hand gesture. You know the one. You've done it....we all have. But this fuck, he did it to me at the WRONG time. After moving closer to the car and trying to let him in, he continued to sit there and give me the WTF hand. WRONG TIME, FUCKER. Do you want to know what I did? I screamed. At the top of my lungs.

I LOCKED MY KID IN THE CAR. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!?!!?!!?!

He threw up his hands as in 'sorry' and about 5 other people in the parking lot turned to stare at me. I'm sure I got judged endlessly at that moment. He parked and walked over, said he was sorry and he didn't realize. I started to cry harder. Then another lady stopped and began questioning me. What happened? How did it happen? Did you call someone? How? When? What did you tell them? How long has it been? And that was the last thing I needed. The.last.thing. It had been 20 minutes since I called. I was paniced, Eddie was crying and even thought I was trying to calm him down, I couldn't stop crying so he knew something was up. And then, in possibly the best moment of them all, a community service officer spotted us and came ripping into the lot like he was there to save the day. He practically skidded to a stop, and I couldn't help but laugh. You'd think he was totally hauling ass to get there and was there right away, but in reality it was quite a while.

He got out, took one look at me and asked if I was okay. Yes, I'm fine, now please save my kid. It took him all of 5 minutes to get back in and Eddie went from being intruiged with the police man (erm.....community service officer) to being scared of him. I tried to be rational, I really did.....but when he opened the doors the only thing I wanted to do was hug my baby. So while I thought I would just leave him in his carseat, sign the paperwork and go on my merry way, I snatched him up so fast and hugged him like I never had before. I made a scene, hugging an kissing my baby and thanking the officer up and down. But do you want to know the best part? I mean, really truly the best part?

The officer gave me a teddy bear to give to Eddie. The bear was in a bag. After he handed it to me, he had a second thought. 'Don't forget to take off the bag.' Thanks, sir. Thanks a lot. While you're at it, will you remind me not to lock my kid in the car again? Or to yell at strangers?

Lesson learned. Judgement felt. I'm just getting over the whole thing, the feeling of a failed mother and the fear of it happening again. I am also crazy about where the car keys are and check my pockets about 500 times before I close any door. I hope I don't stop being crazy aware of where they are....I never want to feel what I felt in those 20 minutes again. Ever, ever again.


Respectfully yours,
Mother of the Year

No comments:

Post a Comment